Year 1 expectations
Welcome to Year 1!
We are very excited for this coming school year and have many wonderful topics to cover. We are looking forward to exploring new and excited subjects and expanding our learning. In year 1 we like to learn lots through playing games and having fun.
Year 1 Expectations:
- Children need to wear full uniform and school shoes – not trainers! Black trainers are ok on P.E. days.
Our uniform includes: white polo top, green jumper/cardigan, grey trousers, grey skirts, grey tights, and shoes. If you child wears religious headwear please make sure they are green, black or neutral colours please.
- Activity day is Thursday. Please come to school in your full PE kit.
This is a white t-shirt, green jogging bottoms, (including black pe shorts under their joggers) black trainers/plimsoles and please wear their jumper on top. Please make sure that all items of clothing are named as clothes are removed for dance for health and safety reasons.
- Labels in all uniform and belongings.
- Each child must bring in a named water bottle to school every day.
- Reading books and diaries must come to school each day. Hear your child read 3 times a week and leave 3 comments in their diaries, this can be dated and signed, explain what they did well, explain things they struggled with, even a smiley face.
- Practise reading tricky words.
- Practise phonics at your child's level.
Your child will receive spellings every week and this will be at the level they are working. Please use the look, cover, write method. This is where you look at the word and sound it out. Then cover the word, get your child to write the spelling, check did they get it right, then after write a sentence using one of the spelling words. They will then be tested on a Friday to see if they have learnt their spellings.
We may also send focus/ topic homework, talk homework this is an opportunity to share understanding at home. We may also target homework from school interventions.
It is very important that the learning continues at home.
If you have any concerns or queries, please e-mail the Year 1 e-mail address; Year1_homelearning@marshgreen.bardaglea.org.uk
Also you can speak to Miss Taylor 1KT, Miss Kim or senior leadership.
Miss V Taylor 2VT is phase leader for year 1 and year 2.
Thank you for your ongoing support and we look forward to an exciting year!