Welcome to Year 6
Welcome to Year 6. This is your child's final year at Marsh Green and we know it will be a successful one! It will also be a very busy one for all of us. Please click on the subject links for examples of work, resources and key information to help your child meet the expected standards for Year 6.
Some Key Expectations:
- Spellings are provided on a Monday ready for a test on Friday. Spellings are expected to be practised at home. The weekly spellings are stuck in the diary. Some children learn through writing them down, others through verbal practise. These should be checked at home with a parent ready for the test on Friday.
- Reading. Reading is central to all we do in life. It is a key life skill that can open doors to our future. Children are expected to read at home at least three times a week. A comment about how your child reads should be written - this might relate to understanding of vocabulary, whether they needed help pronouncing a word etc. Your child can read any book so long as they are enjoying it - it can even be stories from other cultures.
- Diary. The school diary is expected to be in school every day. When doing Guided Reading, the teacher will write a comment. We will also find time to hear children read individually if they have a specific reading need.
- Independence. Year 6 will be beginning the process of transitioning to secondary school. In order to transition, they need to develop their independence. We encourage independent thought and ideas. Year 6 are old enough now to know what they need to do and what they need for school.
- Year 6 do PE on Friday. Please ensure they have the correct PE kit. Green tracksuit bottoms and black shorts are needed at all times. Black trainers/plimsolls are ONLY to be worn on PE day.
- Clubs. When applying for clubs, please note you will be informed if your child has a place. Clubs are very popular, therefore you should respond to the parentmail asap and wait for a reply. Please do not assume your child has a place in a club.
- Punctuality. It is vital your child arrives on time as learning begins at 8:40 am. No time is wasted in Year 6 - we use the whole day to develop our learning!